Monday, September 1, 2008

Reality Check Part 2

Later in the day after we met the sick girl in the orphanage, we spoke more with Travis about the severity of her illness. Brian expressed relief that I hadn't relinquished my wedding ring, and I suppose with good reason. Things like jewelry or clothing or toys or money seem to lose something when in the face of such things. I don't know what I would have given her if I hadn't been wearing the other ring. But I think some sort of reason would have prevailed and the wedding ring would have stayed on my finger.

In any case, the ring I did give was not unexpectedly missing when we saw the girl again. I hope she had the good sense to hide it, but given how sick she was I highly doubt she did. We arranged to pick her up ourselves with our driver from the orphanage and take her to the hospital. By the time we got to her later in the day it was pouring rain and she could barely walk. It was clear to everyone by the time she got into the car with us why I had been so concerned and moved by her situation. She could barely breathe and was writhing with her fever. A nanny came with her to hold her and accompany her for the ride to the hospital. Tafesse dropped us at our hotel before they went on to the hospital. I put my hand on her cheek and said goodbye and told her she would be ok.

We found out the next day that she had a severe throat infection that had prevented her from eating for several days, thus worsening her condition overall. She was prescribed an injection and other antibiotic medications. She was said to be back at the orphanage and feeling a bit better.

Before we leave on Thursday I will try to make contact with her again. I am told it is no real use to sponsor a child at this age when in a facility such as this, but that I can stay in contact and help her with college when and if she ages out of the system. To send a child to college here is only about $400 a year, so I think I can manage to help.

I hope that she remains healthy from here on out and that contact with me in the future will make her life a bit easier.

Jen

No comments: